If I ever want a simple meal that everyone will eat, THIS is my go to dish. I have made this for meal for a crowd, I have made it for kids, and have made this to take to someone (it is easy to freeze)! Another good thing.. this is cheap! If you are on a budget, this is wonderful meal to cook, because it makes so much for what you pay! A lot of people worry about the cottage cheese, but trust me, include it, you won't be able to taste it (even if you don't like cottage cheese). This dish goes great with a salad, steamed veggies, or some garlic bread. This is a must try dish!
1 1/4 lb. ground beef
1 (15-ounce) can tomoato sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper, to taste
8 ounce (weight) egg noodles
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cup small curd cottage cheese
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brown the ground beef in a skillet. Then rinse the ground beef and drain the fat. Add the tomato sauce, salt and pepper to the skillet, let simmer on the stove.
3. Cook the egg noodles and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, mix the sour cream and cottage cheese together. Add in plenty of pepper, the noodles and the green onions.
5. To assemble your dish, pour half of the noodles into a large casserole dish. Top with half of the meat and sauce mixture. Then sprinkle on half of the cheese. Repeat all layers, starting with noodles, then meat and sauce and top with the rest of the cheese.
6. Bake for 20 mins until the cheese has melted.