This is a super fun and easy craft for your little princess! I grew up making salt dough ornaments, and I have made them at Christmas with my child.. and I never thought to make a necklace! This craft is linked up with our Disney Movie Night: The Little Mermaid!
What you will need:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup water
Star shaped cookie cutter
Cotton braiding cord
Here's how to make it:
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. In a bowl, mix the flour, salt and water. Stir until dough starts to form.
2. Place the dough on a floured surface, add flour if the dough gets too sticky. Roll out the dough until about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut our star shapes using the star shaped cookie cutter. Place the stars onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Use a toothpick to make a small hole on the tips of each of the stars. This will be used to thread the star onto the necklace.
4. Bake the salt dough stars for 2 hours or until firm. When they are done baking, let them cool completely before painting.
5. Lay the stars on wax paper, and paint them bright sea-themed colors. While the paint is still wet, sprinkle the stars with glitter. Let the stars dry and then tap off the excess glitter.
6. Cut some of the braiding cord, make sure that its long enough for your child to be able to slip it on and off over their head! Fold the cord in half, and pull the loop side through the hole towards the front of your star. Pull the remaining cord through the loop, and pull tight.
7. The beads are optional, I think it would like nice without them as well! If you would like to use the beads, string the beads onto each side of the string and tie the string together.
Now you have your very own Ariel inspired starfish necklace!
Make sure to check out the Disney Movie Night: The Little Mermaid for free printables and other Little Mermaid inspired recipes, crafts and activities!