This beautiful swirled torte dessert is perfect for summertime. It combines fresh sweet strawberries to make a homemade angel food cake with a whip cream and strawberry swirl inside.
unsalted butter, for buttering the pan
8 extra-large eggs, room temperature, separated
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
2 teaspoons baking powder, sifted
1 pint (16 ounces) heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
1 quart strawberries, washed, dried, hulls removed
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a jelly roll pan, and then line with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar together until light in color, about 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Add cake flour and baking powder and stir until well combined.
3. With an electric mixer, beat egg white until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into flour mixture.
4. Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake for 20 minutes, until cake springs back when touched.
5. Set aside 6 strawberries for garnish. Thinly slice the remaining strawberries. With an electric mixer, beat heavy cream on medium speed. Add remaining vanilla and 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar. Continue beating until soft peaks form. Set half of the whip cream aside, and add sliced strawberries into the other half.
6. Lay a clean kitchen towel out on a clean surface, with the short end facing you. Dust the towel with the confectioners' sugar. Flip cake onto towel, remove from baking sheet, and peel off parchment paper. Using the towel, roll the cake away from you and let cool.
7. Unroll the cake. Gently spread the strawberry and whip cream mixture onto the full surface of the cake, and the gently re-roll the cake. Transfer the cake to a serving platter and spread the reserved whip cream onto the top and sides of the cake. Garnish the top with set aside strawberries.